By Gary Mitchell
Tonight’s “Pops” Honors Concert promises to be fun for everyone, band officials say.
More than 800 band students from the Clovis schools will perform in the 43rd annual All-Band Night “Pops” Honors Concert at 7:30 p.m. today in Rock Staubus Gymnasium at Clovis High School.
Admission for the concert is $2 for adults, $1 for students and pre-school free of charge. Student and staff activity tickets will be honored.
“This promises to be a concert of fun and variety as the band students from the Clovis schools showcase their musical skills,” said Wayne Anderson, music coordinator for Clovis schools.
“It will feature movie music,” said CHS band director Bill Allred. “It’ll be a fun evening. I would describe the music as fast, furious and loud. That’s our motto for the concert — just have fun and let the music go.”
Music for the performance will include: “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” “Attack of the Slide Trombones,” “Proud Mary,” “I Heard It Through the Grapevine,” “The Peanut Vendor,” “Impact Zone,” “The King of Rock and Roll,” “Armed Forces on Parade,” “John Williams in Concert,” “Rock Around the Clock,” “Coyote Cafe,” “Heatseeker,” “Alla Barocca” and the “1812 Overture Finale.”
“One of the highlights of the evening will be when Dr. Neil Nuttall, superintendent of Clovis Municipal Schools, presents the Clovis schools’ music staff a plaque from the American Music Conference for being selected as one of the ‘Best 100 Communities for Music Education in America,’ ” Anderson said.
The concert will conclude with all 800-plus student musicians performing “The Star-Spangled Banner” under the direction of Anderson.
The following school bands will be featured in the concert:
– Sixth-Grade Beginning Band (with students representing 13 Clovis elementary schools), directed by Bill Allred.
– Gattis Junior High School Band, directed by Karl Powell.
– Clovis High School Jazz Band 2, directed by Brian Wargel.
– Marshall Junior High School Band, directed by Mark Schmedinghoff.
– Yucca Junior High School Band, directed by Matt Seltzer.
– Clovis High School Jazz Band I, directed by Keith Sacane.
– Clovis High School Band, directed by Jim Barnard and Bill Allred.