Cop shooting trial delayed

Cops and Courts

The case of Timothy Michael Burke, 51, accused of shooting Detective Keith Bessette of the Clovis Police Department in 2002, had been set for jury trial on Wednesday but has been postponed to an undetermined date.
According to 9th Judicial District Attorney Brett Carter, the case was postponed due to difficulties in bringing Burke to Clovis for trial. Due to injuries suffered when officers returned fire, Burke is confined to a hospital bed, cannot use his legs nor one of his arms, and bringing him to Clovis for trial would require bringing a nurse to be with him at the trial due to his medical condition.
Carter said staff at the Curry County Adult Detention Center have determined the jail is not equipped to provide the medical care Burke needs while awaiting trial in Clovis. Carter said Burke would have to be held either at a hospital or nursing home while in Clovis for trial, and said it’s not yet clear who would be responsible for paying the bill for his medical care
• • •
Jeanette Martin, 45, one of four arrested last fall in connection with what police called a child sex ring, has bonded out of the Curry County Adult Detention Center on a $10,000 surety bond, according to Curry County Adult Detention Center officials.
Jeanette Martin, her husband Billy Martin, 49, and their friends Harry Robbs, 40, and Anastacio Esquibel, 22, were all ordered to undergo mental competency evaluations to determine their fitness to stand trial. All but Robbs have completed their competency evaluations and have been arraigned in Curry County District Court. Jeanette Martin faced the least serious charge, a single count of child abuse, and is the only one of the four released to date.
Billy Martin remains in jail on a $55,000 cash-only bond facing 10 counts of criminal sexual contact with a minor under 13 and one count of child abuse. Esquibel faces 33 counts of criminal sexual contact with a minor under 13, seven counts of criminal sexual penetration of a minor under 13, and one count of kidnapping, and remains in jail on a $250,000 cash-only bond.
According to 9th District Attorney Brett Carter, Harry Robbs’ competency evaluation has not yet been completed. Jail officials said his bond is still at $75,000 from his initial appearance in magistrate court on a single count of criminal sexual contact of a minor under 13.

Cops and Courts is compiled by CNJ staff writer Darrell Todd Maurina. He can be contacted at 763-6991 or:
darrell_maurina@link.freedom.com