An 8-month-old Clovis child who stopped breathing on Tuesday night and was later resuscitated by two Army National Guardsmen had an allergic reaction to baby food, according to information the child’s father provided to officials at Cannon Air Force Base Public Affairs.
It doesn’t look like the child’s baby food was poisoned, said Capt. Andre Kok, chief of Cannon’s Public Affairs.
Poison was found in two jars of baby food purchased at an Irvine, Calif., store on Wednesday, but the amount of poison was not in a deadly form and the two infants who ate small of amounts of the banana yogurt dessert did not even fall ill, officials said.
Tuesday night’s incident at Cannon began after Sgt. Chad Kalber and his wife fed their child a baby food for the first time and noticed the child having difficulties breathing, according to a news release from Cannon.
Kalber and his wife were transporting their child to Plains Regional Medical Center in Clovis when they stopped at Cannon’s West gate, the release said, after noticing that the baby “had practically stopped breathing.”
Spc. Gabino Barreras and Sgt. Billy Gonzales, with the 27th Security Forces Squadron at Cannon Air Force Base, were able to resuscitate the child, according to the release.