Children evacuated as precaution

CNJ staff reports

A child care center in Clovis was briefly evacuated about noon on Wednesday when workers smelled smoke in the building.

A burned-out air conditioner motor caused the smell at Barbara Ann’s Child Care Center on West 21st Street, officials said, and there was no fire. Children were outside for about 15 minutes as a precautionary measure and no injuries were reported.

Clovis’ fire department was called at 12:08 p.m. and the first unit arrived on scene approximately a minute later, said Battalion Chief Kevin Crouch. When emergency units arrived, the children were already outside.