Standoff ends with arrest

A standoff that began Thursday afternoon at a house near The Restaurant at Fox Run ended at 4 a.m. Friday. (CNJ staff photo: Eric Kluth)

By Ryn Gargulinski: CNJ staff writer

Pastor Richard Masterson Jr. said his prayers were answered early Friday morning when a 14-hour standoff near The Restaurant at Fox Run ended without serious injury.

Police said Shireen Simon (also known as Shireen Nalley) barricaded herself in a house at 2225 Llano Estacado about 1 p.m. Thursday after firing several rounds at sheriff’s deputies who responded to a security alarm. She was taken into custody shortly before 4 a.m. Friday, but only after tear gas was thrown in a window, said Curry County Sheriff Roger Hatcher.

“Under the circumstances, everything went perfectly. No one was hurt,” Hatcher said.

Masterson said a woman who said she was Nalley’s aunt came into the House of Prayer Fellowship church Thursday afternoon to pray.

“Her cell phone kept ringing, which made it hard to pray,” Masterson said. “But she finally turned it off and for about five minutes we prayed for a safe outcome of the situation.”

Masterson said the woman, who did not tell him her name, told him her niece believed the property where the standoff occurred belonged to her.

Nalley, 30, is being held on $30,000 cash-only bond at the Curry County Adult Detention Center on charges of aggravated assault and aggravated burglary, Hatcher said.

Hatcher said a pistol was recovered at the scene. He said seven bullet holes were found “all over the house,” including floors, walls, and ceiling and a window was broken.

Will Cockrell, who owns the house and the adjacent Fox Run Restaurant, said an unknown woman showed up at 7 a.m. Tuesday at his home.

“This gal was saying ‘this is my property, you have no business here,’” he said. Cockrell told the woman he didn’t want any trouble with her, but if she didn’t leave he would call the police, he said.

He said a sheriff’s deputy came to his house, but the woman had left by that time, he said.

Hatcher said authorities are “relatively certain” Nalley is the same person who showed up at Cockrell’s house on Tuesday morning, based on Cockrell’s description of the woman.

Negotiations leading up to Nalley’s apprehension included hours on the telephone, according to Hatcher.

“About six hours into the standoff we knew we were not going to talk her out,” Hatcher said. “We needed to keep her down. We believed she had some mental issues and was not somebody who was just mad or even on drugs. We had to get her down to where she was extremely tired.”

Hatcher said Nalley had left a suicide note to her two sons, ages 6 and 8, “indicating she would not be coming back.” Her sons had been placed with Children Youth and Family services for an unrelated incident prior to Thursday’s standoff, according to authorities.

Although no family members were allowed to take part in the negotiations, Hatcher said a cousin and an aunt were on the perimeter of the scene, just outside the barricades.
Streets were blocked off for hours while the conflict was being resolved.

Diane Bonness, the closest neighbor east of the restaurant, said her husband, who usually comes home from work around 3 p.m., was not allowed road access to his home until after 8 p.m.

Harris Dunn, who resides next door to Bonness and happened to be on his roof repairing his air conditioner when the incident began, said he and his wife were planning to go into town but were told they could leave the barricaded area but they would not be able to get back in.