Bill Warner of Minden, La., received a no time in the calf roping event during 35th Annual PRCA Rodeo Saturday at the Curry County Fairgrounds. (Staff photo: Eric Kluth)
Katti Autrey made the hour-long drive worth it.
The barrel racer from Fort Sumner finished her run in 16.76 seconds Saturday night to take fourth at the Pioneer Days PRCA Rodeo at the Curry County Fairgrounds.
“It’s all right,” said Autrey, who moved to Fort Sumner two years ago from Arizona.
The six-year pro rodeo veteran said she enjoys the Clovis event, and not just because she gets to sleep in her own bed the day before and after the event.
“It’s probably one of the better ones,” she said, complementing the fans, arena and sponsorships.
Autrey finished behind Holly Brooks of Gail, Texas, who won the event with a time of 16.57.
Other winners included:
• Judd Mortenson of Dewey, Ariz., who captured bull riding with a score of 85.
• Ty Blasingame of Ramah, Colo., and Gary Grockett of Limon, Colo., paired up to win the team roping event with a time of 5.5. Chase LeSuaur of Mesilla Park and Jessie Haynie of Fairacres took fourth (6.1).
• Brian Clive of Yeso won steer wrestling with a time of 4.3, 1.2 ahead of Ronald Bowman of Kingman, Ariz.
• Ryan Gray of Cheney, Wash., captured the bareback competition with an 83. Shannon Miller of La Luz was second with an 81 and Stetson Herrera of Portales was third with a 78.
• Travis Edwards of Snyder, Texas, rode his way to first in the saddle bronc, topping Wes Burns of Sedan, who had a 76. John Jones of Roswell was fourth with a 73.
• Trent Walls of Stephenville, Texas, brought down his calf in 8.1 seconds in calf roping. John Etcheverry was second with 8.6 seconds, while Dustin Bell of Lubbock tied for fourth, finishing in 9.6 seconds.