Bail revocation ends in shooting injuries

By Andy Jackson: CNJ staff writer

A Clovis bail bond employee and a suspected bail-jumper suffered non-fatal gunshot wounds Tuesday.

Crystal Snell of Hank’s Bail Bonds was shot in the leg and Javier Sanchez, 33, in the lower back about 10 a.m. in the 300 block of Gaylord, according law enforcement officials.

Both were shot by Hank Bayless, the owner of Hank’s Bail Bonds, as he tried to revoke Sanchez’ bond, officials said.

Snell and Sanchez were transported to Plains Regional Medical Center.

District Attorney Matt Chandler said neither injury was considered life-threatening.

Hospital officials would not say if Snell or Sanchez were admitted.

Chandler said Snell and Sanchez were shot with a hand gun by Bayless, though officials would not offer details.

Bayless did not return a call seeking comment.

“The bullet entered Sanchez’ lower back-side and exited through his thigh,” Chandler said.

Bayless was questioned by Clovis police Tuesday and released, Chandler said.

Chandler said the investigation is ongoing and he did not know if charges would be filed.

He said Bayless had a permit to carry the firearm.

According to court records, Sanchez failed to appear in court Aug. 9 for his arraignment on multiple felony and misdemeanor charges.

Sanchez had not been booked at the Curry County Detention Center as of late Tuesday night, according to a jail official.
Sheila Baker of Goodman Bail Bonds in Clovis posted $32,000 for his release on May 1.

Baker said she contracted Bayless to assist in apprehending Sanchez because she believed Sanchez had a violent streak and neither she nor any of her employees at Goodman Bail Bonds carry guns.

Tipped off by an informant, Baker, Bayless and Snell went looking for Sanchez at the 300 block of Gaylord.

A man who answered the door at the 300 block of Gaylord said Sanchez was not there. But Baker said they saw Sanchez through the door.

Baker said Sanchez tried to get away and kicked her to the ground. She said Sanchez tried to grab the weapon from Bayless. She heard two shots. She said even after Sanchez was shot he continued to try to escape and had to be physically restrained by Bayless.

Baker said Bayless called the Clovis Police Department three times asking for backup before entering the home. She said the police denied the requests. Lt. Jim Schoeffel, public relations officer for the Clovis Police Department, did not return calls seeking comment.

Baker said Bayless was acting in self-defense. Chandler said there was only one gun involved in the shooting and it belonged to Bayless.

Tommy Crawford lives nearby.

“I heard two shots fired, and then I heard a man say, ‘he’s around back,’ and then I called 911,” Crawford said.

Snell was later transported to a Lubbock hospital, Baker said.