By Tony Parra: Freedom Newspapers
A second man was arrested last week in connection with an armored car heist, officials confirmed on Thursday.
Chris Adcox, 21, of Clovis was arrested March 22 by officers from the Clovis Police Department, District Attorney Matt Chandler said.
“We have probable cause that establishes the individual (Adcox) received stolen property and charges were filed,” Chandler said. “The case is still under investigation. One warrant has been served and an additional warrant is pending.”
Chandler said he expects one more arrest will be made in the case.
Scott Kirby, 22, of Portales was the first person arrested in the case after Portales police officers and an FBI agent seized $242,342 from Kirby’s home on March 6. According to Chandler he and Adcox were acquaintances.
According to the New Mexico Courts Web site, Adcox is charged with receiving stolen property, receiving/disposing of stolen property, harboring or aiding a felon and tampering with evidence.
He has been released on bond, the Web site shows. Adcox does not have a listed phone number and could not be reached for comment.
Kirby is being held at the Roosevelt County Detention Center on a $10,000 bond.
Chandler said more than $270,000 in cash has been recovered in the case. On March 15, Chandler said authorities believe more than double the amount initially recovered is missing. Chandler said law enforcement officials have reason to believe remaining funds in the form of checks may have been destroyed.
Officials with Respond Inc., the armored car service that employed Kirby, have not returned calls seeking comment. Chandler said Adcox was not employed by Respond Inc.
Chandler said area businesses, including Wal-Mart in Clovis and Portales and Chili’s and Applebee’s restaurants in Clovis, used the armored car service to transfer money to banks.