No suspect had been identified or apprehended late Saturday night in connection with Friday’s robbery of the New Mexico Bank & Trust branch in the Hilltop Plaza, according to an official of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Bill Elwell, special agent with the FBI Albuquerque division, said the case is “still a pending investigation.” He said no criminal complaints have been filed.
Elwell said the FBI would file a criminal complaint with the U.S. Attorney’s office in Albuquerque or Las Cruces when there is sufficient probable cause.
A white man between 30 and 40 years of age robbed the bank before 11 a.m. Friday, saying he had a bomb that Cannon Air Force Base explosives experts determined to be nonexplosive, officials said.
Because of the bomb scare, Clovis police evacuated the shopping center, which involved at least 20 businesses and more than 100 people, Clovis Police Lt. James Schoeffel said Friday.
Elwell said Friday FBI agents from Roswell are assisting Clovis police and will remain in the area until all logical leads have been covered.
Clovis police said the man got away with an undisclosed amount of money.