Kitchen fire extinguished

CNJ staff photo: Sharna Johnson A Clovis firefighter works to ventilate a home where a kitchen fired occurred around noon Thursday.

CNJ staff

A kitchen fire resulted in heavy smoke and fire damage Thursday at a home at 205 West Plaza, according to fire officials. Firefighter Bill Baca said firefighters arrived at noon and had the blaze extinguished in short time. The fire occurred when the resident was cooking and stepped away from the stove. There were no injuries.

“If you’re cooking anything on the stove, you have to make sure you’re attending it at all times,” Baca said. The home is habitable but will need a lot of cleanup from the fire, Baca said.