Slaying trial set for September

By Karl Terry: Freedom New Mexico

A Portales woman accused of killing her 6-year-old son in January 2007 faces a September trial date.

Teresa Gilman, 25, was ruled competent to stand trial in February and indicted Feb. 27 for child abuse resulting in death, according to court records.

Her trial date has been set for Sept. 15-19 in Roosevelt County District Court. Judge Drew Tatum has been assigned to the case.

Police investigators say Gilman was responsible for the death of her son Lorenzo “Lenchito” Cabral on Jan. 4, 2007.

Autopsy results indicated the preliminary cause of the boy’s death was head trauma, but drowning could not be ruled out as a cause, according to police.

Witness interviews contend that Gilman poured water into the boy’s mouth after he was unconscious, according to the arrest affidavit.

Statements in the affidavit indicate Gilman believed she was told by God to flush the devil from the boy with water.

Following her arrest last year, Gilman was sent to the New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute in Las Vegas for evaluation.

Until her indictment she had been charged with first-degree murder or the alternative charge of child abuse resulting in death.

According to 9th Judicial District Attorney Matt Chandler, his office is satisfied with the charges returned by the grand jury.

“This alternative charge better fits the facts of the case,” Chandler said.

“They both carry a penalty of life in prison.”

Gilman also faces four charges of child abuse related to other children in the Portales home at the time of her son’s death. She also faces a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Attempts to contact Gilman’s attorney Wednesday were unsuccessful.