Court records: Jail administrator recommended revoking accused molester’s bond

CNJ staff

An accused child molester returned to jail Wednesday was dropped from the ankle bracelet monitoring program after he made a female detention officer uncomfortable, according to court documents.

In a sworn statement submitted to the court, the officer said Larry Hatcher, 48, told her Tuesday afternoon he needed to talk to a woman age 18-25 to seek her opinion about his case, in which he’s accused of molesting a now-teenage girl. He wanted “to find out from her if what they think he did to the girl was wrong,” the officer wrote in her statement.

The comments were made while she was at Hatcher’s place of employment doing a routine check on him, records show.

In a Wednesday letter referencing the incident, Jail Administrator Lois Bean stated the officer perceived the comments, “as inappropriate and offensive due to the nature of his charges of (criminal sexual penetration) and being pre-trial,” and recommended Hatcher no longer remain out of jail on an ankle bracelet.

Wednesday afternoon, court records show District Judge Stephen Quinn issued a bench warrant for Hatcher’s arrest, ordering him held without bond.

Hatcher is accused of 116 counts of child molestation. His first trial in October ended in a hung jury.

His new trial is set for May 19 and was moved from Clovis to Portales on a change of venue deal struck last month between District Attorney Matt Chandler’s office and Hatcher’s new defense attorney, Thomas Harden.

Efforts Wednesday and Thursday to reach Harden for comment weren’t successful. Hatcher’s brother, Tucumcari Police Chief Roger Hatcher, declined comment on Wednesday night. The chief has stated in the past that he believes his brother is innocent of all charges.

Larry Hatcher is accused of forcing a now-teenage girl to have sex with him for seven years.

He was originally held in 2007 on $2 million bond.

He was later released on an ankle bracelet and reduced bond.