By Judy Brandon: CNJ columnist
I have heard news this last week of much sadness: a baby dies, a young man dying in the prime of life, and a young woman and man killed in car accident. I have no words of wisdom and pressed for words of comfort for these situations. I just know that we have an advocate, Jesus Christ. Perhaps this illustration will help.
Memories of my childhood days and Sunday nights in the old church at 8th and Hinkle are still vivid in my mind. It could be a daunting place at night after Sunday night services and all were gone. On many Sunday nights I would stay with my preacher father after church was over and would ride home with him. But one Sunday was unlike others and I remember it well.
I was about eight years old and on this Sunday, the custodian was out of town so daddy had to turn all the lights off in that church on Hinkle. Daddy told me to wait in his office until he went down to the kitchen area to turn the last of the lights off. But of course I had my own ideas and decided meet him halfway down the hall.
I started down the lighted hall when suddenly the lights went out, leaving me in the dark with an eerie feeling. Then the sounds of footsteps scared me even more. I even saw a shadow on the wall as a splash of light came beaming from around the corner.
I imagined night creature hiding in the recesses of that old church! I could be grabbed and never heard of again! But then I saw him…my Daddy!! In the dark I recognized him because of his walk. I ran toward him and held on to him tight as he wrapped his arms around me. He asked me why I was so afraid.
Trembling, I exclaimed, “But daddy it was dark…I didn’t know where you were!”
But now he was here! What relief!
He set me on my feet and reached for my hand and together we walked the length of the hall and turned out the last of the lights. I was no longer afraid of the dark hall because my father’s strong hand was holding mine.
Who is Jesus?
• A solid rock for all humanity. “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.” (2 Samuel 22:2)
• A strong arm to help the helpless. “The Lord answered Moses, ‘Is the Lord’s arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you.’” (Numbers 11: 23)
• An advocate greater than any other power on earth. “My advocate is on high.” (Job 16:19)
• A friend that is even closer than family. “A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” (Proverbs 18: 24)
• The light of the world! “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12) Jesus is the light that shows us the way through the dark halls of our lives.
Yes, there has been much sadness in our community and I have no answers for the sadness. But I know that Jesus is here…we just have to have to trust Him in the dark times of our lives.
Judy Brandon is a Clovis resident. Contact her at: firstname.lastname@example.org