Pages past — Aug. 14

On this date …
1965: Melrose was expecting 325 students to register for the 1965-66 school year. Superintendent Willard Moon said the number was down from about 350 the year before. Melrose employed 21 teachers in its system and had one new teacher — Wayne Moore, an instructor of physical education.

1955: The annual all-veterans picnic was slated for the Eastern New Mexico University campus. All veterans and their families were welcomed to the basket dinner. Free melons and snow cones were served.

1949: A 3-year-old Grady girl was admitted to Clovis Memorial Hospital after drinking rat poison while playing at home. She was released from a physician’s care two days later.

It was the law …
Clovis passed a series of laws in 1908, including:

• No music in saloons. The fine was up to $100.

• No one under 21 allowed in a saloon or pool hall without written consent of a parent or guardian.

• No playing ball in the street. Violators could spend up to three days in jail and pay a $5 fine.

Where’s the fair …
The first Curry County fairs were held on the west side of Pile Street, between Fourth and Fifth streets. From about 1920 to 1931, the fairgrounds were between Pile and Gidding streets, from 11th to 13th streets. Today’s fairgrounds began to evolve about 1948, all according to County Historian Don McAlavy.

Pages Past is compiled by Editor David Stevens. Contact him at:
dstevens@cnjonline.com