Students, teachers receive awards
Zia and Highland Elementary students and teachers recently received awards for participating in Constitution Week.
According to Jessie Strauch, constitution chairman for the El Portal chapter of the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution.
• Fifteen Zia teachers were presented certificates Feb. 29 from the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution for outstanding promotion of the U.S. Constitution. These teachers also received a pocket-size copy of the Constitution.
• Three students from each grade (18 total) received a pocket-size copy of the Constitution.
• The school received a framed copy of the Declaration of Independence to be hung in the entrance of Zia.
Constitution Week is a commemoration of the adoption of the Constitution. It takes place Sept. 17 to Sept. 23.
Strauch will make Highland award presentations before the end of the school year.
Congressional art competition open
The 2012 Congressional art competition is open to all high school students within the 3rd Congressional District of New Mexico, which includes Curry and Roosevelt counties, according to a news release from the office of New Mexico Congressman Ben Ray Luján.
According to the new release:
• Entries must be submitted to Congressman Ben Ray Luján’s Santa Fe district office by 5 p.m. April 20.
• The competition allows members of Congress to display the talent and creativity of high school students.
• The winning entry from each congressional district will be displayed in the U.S. capitol for a year. The winner will be recognized in Washington, D.C., in a reception for all national winners.
• For information contact Andrew Stoddard at 202-225-6190.
Local makes LCU dean’s list
• Clovis resident Isaias Miranda made the Lubbock Christian University dean’s list for the fall 2011 semester, according to a news release from the school.
• Miranda is a junior majoring in youth and family ministry.
• To make the dean’s list a student must take a minimum of 12 hours and achieve a grade point average of at least 3.5.
Education Digest is compiled by CNJ staff writer Benna Sayyed. He may be contacted at 763-6991, or by e-mail: email@example.com