At a meeting of Curry County Commissioners on Tuesday the board:
• Proclaimed April National County Government Month.
• Adopted a resolution opposing listing the dunes sagebrush lizard and the lesser prairie chicken on the Endangered Species List.
• Adopted a resolution opposing a policy change by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to designate the range of a species as endangered.
• Approved a change order with K. Barnett & Sons for the Curry roads S and 7 construction project, reducing the cost by $5,293.75.
• Heard Col. David Piech’s update on activities at Cannon Air Force Base. Piech said Cannon’s personnel population is now at 5,200. He said construction to replace existing homes on the base begins June 1 and when finished, will mean 1,038 new houses for Air Force personnel.
• Heard a La Casa Family Health Center spokesman say a contract offer has been to a new physician for the Melrose Clinic but it will be 30 to 45 days before the doctor can be working. The spokesman said normal hours will resume at the clinic once the doctor is on-site.
The clinic has been open for medical services half a day just three days a week since early this year.
— Compiled by CMI Managing Editor Robin Fornoff